Thursday morning he woke up happy and our morning went along smoothly until he woke up from his morning nap around 9 am. He woke up unhappy. He didn't want his morning milk or snack. So we tried playing for a bit. When that didn't work, I thought, let's take a bath (he loves baths) and he cried through the whole thing. So surely a walk would make him happy. He has never cried during more than 2 minutes of a walk...until now. He cried the whole time. Our walk was cut considerably short and we went home to cuddle together. It was quickly clear that it was all he wanted to do. While I enjoyed the time, something was wrong and I called to get a dr appt with him crying in the background because I wasn't holding him.
Our doctor was booked all day. After talking to the nurse, she said she would try to get me an appt and made a back up appt with a different doctor at 3:30 pm at a different clinic. We spent the day cuddling and Derek laying on my chest. After considerable trial and error (and some very long hours until I figured this out), he had to be laying on my chest, in an upright position. There was no putting him down or even laying down with him. As soon as he was comfortable, he was instantly asleep. There were many naps but they were all very short (I imagine it's difficult to get comfortable laying on another person.) I gave him medicine around Noon, but it didn't seem to easy his discomfort at all.
Around 3 pm, the nurse called back with good news, we got an appt with our dr at 4 pm. About 3:30, my mom showed up (she was watching Derek on Friday since daycare was closed but came down early to spend the night) as we were heading out the door. She came to the dr office with me. The doctor came into the examine room and found Derek again sleeping on my chest and it was an easy conversation about symptoms. She took a look in his ears and found that is left ear was slightly pink but his right ear was very infected, near rupturing! Had we not come in today, his ear drum would have ruptured!!! In fact, there was a chance it still would depending on how long it would take for the medicine to kick in. Oh. My. Gosh. I felt terrible. Here my little man is in pain and I didn't do anything sooner - we should have gone to urgent care.
We left with a prescription for his ear infection, a back-up prescription in case his ear drum did rupture, and some Children's Motrin inside Derek. We headed straight to pick up the prescription. Thankfully, my mom was there and she offered to stay in the car with Derek since he was comfortable in his car seat while I ran it to get it filled. It took about 20 minutes for them to fill the prescription. When I got back to the car, I found Derek out of his car seat playing in the back seat with my mom smiling & talking away. I couldn't believe my eyes! She said a bit ago he seemed like he had to poop so she took him out and he was so happy and playing. The Motrin must have kicked in quickly. I was so shocked at the results that I almost turned right around and headed back in the store to pick some up for us at home.
We walked in the door at home to greet Mike with a very happy and playful little boy. He looked at me and jokingly said, "He looks fine to me. Why did you have a rough day?" I know he was joking but if looks could kill.....
Our doctor was booked all day. After talking to the nurse, she said she would try to get me an appt and made a back up appt with a different doctor at 3:30 pm at a different clinic. We spent the day cuddling and Derek laying on my chest. After considerable trial and error (and some very long hours until I figured this out), he had to be laying on my chest, in an upright position. There was no putting him down or even laying down with him. As soon as he was comfortable, he was instantly asleep. There were many naps but they were all very short (I imagine it's difficult to get comfortable laying on another person.) I gave him medicine around Noon, but it didn't seem to easy his discomfort at all.
Around 3 pm, the nurse called back with good news, we got an appt with our dr at 4 pm. About 3:30, my mom showed up (she was watching Derek on Friday since daycare was closed but came down early to spend the night) as we were heading out the door. She came to the dr office with me. The doctor came into the examine room and found Derek again sleeping on my chest and it was an easy conversation about symptoms. She took a look in his ears and found that is left ear was slightly pink but his right ear was very infected, near rupturing! Had we not come in today, his ear drum would have ruptured!!! In fact, there was a chance it still would depending on how long it would take for the medicine to kick in. Oh. My. Gosh. I felt terrible. Here my little man is in pain and I didn't do anything sooner - we should have gone to urgent care.
We left with a prescription for his ear infection, a back-up prescription in case his ear drum did rupture, and some Children's Motrin inside Derek. We headed straight to pick up the prescription. Thankfully, my mom was there and she offered to stay in the car with Derek since he was comfortable in his car seat while I ran it to get it filled. It took about 20 minutes for them to fill the prescription. When I got back to the car, I found Derek out of his car seat playing in the back seat with my mom smiling & talking away. I couldn't believe my eyes! She said a bit ago he seemed like he had to poop so she took him out and he was so happy and playing. The Motrin must have kicked in quickly. I was so shocked at the results that I almost turned right around and headed back in the store to pick some up for us at home.
We walked in the door at home to greet Mike with a very happy and playful little boy. He looked at me and jokingly said, "He looks fine to me. Why did you have a rough day?" I know he was joking but if looks could kill.....
No comments:
Post a Comment