Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Third Trimester

It's official - we are now in the third trimester (or 28 weeks), and 2/3 of the way done. Wow!!!!! That time went by so fast. It doesn't feel like all that long ago that we were making the announcement.

Today Mike and I went in for the 28 week appointment and glucose screening test. We arrived early so I could go down to drink the "kool-aid" (aka, super sweet sugar liquid). Everyone I've talked to has been warning me how horrible this appointment is - that the liquid is so sweet/thick they felt sick after drinking it or that it just tasted horrible. I would get reactions like "oh, you're going in for that appointment" (with a look of grimace on their face).

So I think I went in expecting the worse. I only had to drink about 4 oz of this sugar liquid - yes, it was very sweet - in 5 minutes. The nurse actually started a timer. I finished in about 10 seconds. Then we went up to see the doctor for the 28 week appointment.

It was a rather quick appointment but we did get to listen to the heart beat again - 150 beats per minute. I was surprised at how much louder it was than the first time we heard it at 12 weeks. This time I actually had to ask the doctor if it was my heart beat or Pickles'. Now I am at the point where my belly (from the pubic bone to the top of my uterus) should equal the number of weeks. I measured 27, so pretty close.

I hope we find out the results of the blood work today so I know if I passed or failed. Passing means I don't have gestational diabetes. Failing means I have to repeat this same test (drinking double the kool-aid & blood work) over a 3 hour period.

No comments:

Post a Comment