Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Ultrasound

We went in for another follow-up ultrasound on Monday for Pickles' left kidney - this time to Methodist Hospital. They have the equipment and the specialists to perform a more detailed look. I especially liked the setup in this clinic - they had a separate monitor hanging from the wall across from me so I didn't have to turn around and look at the one she was using.

Our ultrasound tech was wonderful - she explained everything very well. I didn't realize that they were going to be doing such an in-depth scan again. She literally checked everything that was checked at the 20 week ultrasound again. And she took several measurements to confirm her numbers were right. We were there for almost 1 1/2 hours!

With the exception of the still enlarged left kidney, everything else looks okay. This is especially great news because, as I learned Monday, the heart also forms at the same time the kidneys do so often if there are problems with the kidneys, the heart has issues too. She spent a great deal of time checking out the heart - lots of different views, some 3D images, coloring to see the how the blood vessels were working, and even video. It all looked really good - a huge relief!

We are going to continue to monitor the left kidney and have another ultrasound scheduled for 32 weeks. At that time we'll see how it looks and possibly be referred to a pediatric doctor at Methodist. I am comforted in knowing that there is nothing that I can be doing to help or hurt the situation, and in most cases it clears up on its own.

And of course, we did get a few pictures to take home too (thanks Tae for letting me use your scanner):





Head, Hand & Feet - (click to enlarge)





Foot - (click to enlarge)

Profile; showing off how flexible - (click to enlarge)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. These are really great pictures. I am amazed at the detail. Just wish I could tell from them if Pickles is a boy or girl. Grandma really wants to know, unlike her/his parents!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog :) Glad Steve and I could help out. Looking forward to meeting this little Nis. Good work Mike and Cara!!

    ReplyDelete